Section 7 of the Nigerian Constitution 1999
Section 7 of the Constitution of Nigeria is about the Local Government System of the Federation. It has six subsections. Section 7 is under Part II (Powers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) of Chapter 1 (General Provisions) of the constitution.
7. (1) The system of local government by democratically elected local government councils is under this Constitution guaranteed; and accordingly, the Government of every State shall, subject to section 8 of this Constitution, ensure their existence under a Law which provides for the establishment, structure, composition, finance and functions of such councils.
(2) The person authorised by law to prescribe the area over which a local government council may
exercise authority shall-
(a) define such area as clearly as practicable; and
(b) ensure, to the extent to which it may be reasonably justifiable that in defining
such area regard is paid to –
(i) the common interest of the community in the area;
(ii) traditional association of the community; and
(iii) administrative convenience.
(3) it shall be the duty of a local government council within the State to participate in economic
planning and development of the area referred to in subsection (2) of this section and to this end an
economic planning board shall be established by a Law enacted by the House of Assembly of the
(4) The Government of a State shall ensure that every person who is entitled to vote or be voted for
at an election to House of Assembly shall have the right to vote or be voted for at an election to a
local government council.
(5) The functions to be conferred by Law upon local government council shall include those set out in the Fourth Schedule to this Constitution.
(6) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution –
(a) the National Assembly shall make provisions for statutory allocation of public revenue to local government councils in the Federation; and
(b) the House of Assembly of a State shall make provisions for statutory allocation of public revenue to local government councils within the State.
Inioluwa Olaposi is a Law student at Obafemi Awolowo Universities, Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Before LawHub NG, he started publishing law-related posts on his former multi-niche website.